Sorry for the delay folks! We have been in house project mode! I’m so excited to reveal our chalkboard wall– I just love how it turned out! But like any typical project, it was quite the process in getting there (it didn’t go as planned?! No way.)
Let’s back up to where we started with. Two words come to mind: Holy. Orange. (p.s. ignore the messy kitchen, hey we just moved. Keepin’ it real).
Yep, when you walked into our house from the garage (which is our main point of entry at this point) you were greeted with this, umm “bold” wall. Hey, I’m not an orange-hater, I think it can work in some instances. Here is why it did NOT work here (or at least my theory). The dark paneling + the orangey linoleum floor + the orange tone kitchen = orange overkill. The tone in here was just so, well, orange.
So, it was time to paint. This was an emotional rollercoaster for me. All of a sudden you come to the realization that you are painting a wall black. NOT OK! Is it?! Maybe? Not sure? Well can’t go back.
Here is my paint tray (yes, lined with tinfoil, I just hate cleaning up after painting!) And Lewis, also questioning the choice to paint a wall black- thanks for the support buddy (I imagine this look says “really Mom, this was a debatable choice”.)
The result: A scary shiny black wall. Ahhh! Walking into the house from the garage made Matt & I both question the entire project while the paint was still wet and shiny, it was like walking into a black hole. But, I had faith (or just really didn’t know a plan B) so we kept trucking along.
Next we needed to tackle the shelf I envisioned. We toyed with whether we should do a floating shelf or a shelf with brackets. We ended up going with a bracket setup because this wall really is our facelift vs. our big huge reno (we didn’t want to put giant anchors into the wall for a floating shelf). We bought a 2×10 board at Home Depot for the shelf. I liked how substantial it was and initially thought I could throw some stain on it like the Master Closet (here) and call it a day. Well, not the case. We bought “Doug” wood, which has a red tint/undertones to it. The Master Closet was Pine. These two woods take to the stain VERY differently. Plan B was to whitewash it, which didn’t cover up the red tone either. Here are my visuals with my samples I tested trying to visualize:
Strike 1, Strike 2, Strike 3– we were out. Hrumph. I didn’t love any of the options (and yes, Matt hated me for forcing him to hold the huge heavy board while I took a photo, but no pain no gain honey 🙂 )
So back to the drawing/re-finishing “board” (ha! Get it?!) for the shelf. Actually, this meant literally DOWN to the basement with my board to try to figure out a finish for this red-hued wood.
I love the outcome! It was the perfect combination of making the new wood look old/weathered. We purposely chose a board with some character/cracks to help us achieve our desired look.
Solution: Basic (very light) coat of white primer + using the oil (same as in the Master Closet post) to fake some wood grain (see below for the side x side before & after wiping the stain on the white painted wood).
And finally here are the finished photos of the completed project. We were able to display some fun wedding gifts, install some wine glass holders, and style it to be casual yet “put-together”. The two chairs on either side of the buffet were killer Goodwill finds at $8 and $6 each, they are in great shape. I have plans to paint and reupholster them to give them an update. Finally, we want to paint all the wood paneling to white to brighten up the space- more projects of course! 🙂
Again, we are so happy with how this turned out and love walking in the door to see this wall 🙂 You can see we even swayed Lewis’ reservations and he has officially come around.