Walk-In Closet – Plan Progress. More closet talk? Anytime, I love to talk about my closet 🙂 If you recall, last time I left you via posting, we were here:
Now just over 2 weeks into our new house, we have made some serious strides in giving our clothes their new “home”.
I used a notebook and tape measure to cut and tape together strips to represent the lengths of clothes I mapped out above to help plan where we needed what rod space. I also did so for the dressers to see where they would best fit in with the rods. It was nice to be able to move them around and play with the layout without having to physically move the furniture or guess on the rod space!
We weren’t sure what type of wood/material to use in the closet. In the tiny house, we used the pre-finished white melamine board, but we wanted to go for a more high-end look in our fancy new house/closet. We hit the jackpot of luck when my Dad graciously gave us a bunch of “spare” wood he had in his pole barn for the closet.
After seeing how this wood took to our stain, I was in love with the outcome. I knew I wanted to darken the wood and bring out some character/make it look more distressed/old. The wood is pine (in the photo below- “before stain” is on the left, “after stain” is on the right) and the stain actually isn’t a stain at all, it is a “Danish oil” (in snoody-voice). But don’t be to fooled or intimidated, it is right next to the stain at the hardware store (I got mine at Ace Hardware).
This next photo pretty much sums up our last 2 weeks: staining. Wipe on, wipe off, repeat! Think you are done for the night, then watch Matt carry in 4 more boards…keep. going.
Now, a few things about moving in January in Minnesota and DIY-ing a project like this. (1) It’s cold. Our garage currently is not insulated/heated (future project I foresee), so the only thing we are currently doing in there is cutting the wood. Once the wood is cut, we bring it inside to stain. (2) Staining. Staining inside is not ideal, but it’s all you have when your options are a non-heated garage (where the stain probably wouldn’t dry correctly in frozen sub-zero temps). We started in our “dining room” area but the stain aroma quickly became an issue. We moved to the “office” bedroom and laid down plastic under our saw horses and declared it the “staining room”. We have a fan to circulate the air and crack the window open to help with fumes. We are toughing it out!
Finally, a little “teaser” sneak preview of the boards actually going up into the closet! Excited to share more! We feel like we can finish the “structure” work this week, then it’s onto “dressing” our “dressing room”! Ha! Can’t wait to décor it up and see our final product!